Sunday, December 23, 2012

Mozzarella Sausage Balls

I pulled this recipe from a Sorrento cheese package. The question you have to ask your self is do you want this for breakfast or appetizer? They could either way…
When I first looked at this recipe, I thought breakfast on the go for the kids. The more I thought about it, the idea of Sunday brunch with eggs, fresh fruit, and waffles had my mouth watering.
I just pulled a batch from the oven and appetizer for New Year’s party is popping in my head…
I made the balls about 2.5 inches, since I am going to use them for breakfast. The recipe calls for 1-inch balls, which would be great if serving as appetizers.

I went ahead and tried one ball and it was so good, I snuck a second one. The prep on these is super simple. I would say start to table about half hour.
If you make the larger ball, adjust your time, I cooked mine for 18 minutes. The tops were golden and the bottom was just getting a bit of “crust” on them. The recipe also suggests baking on a greased cookie sheet. I was worried about the grease from the pan and balls becoming too much. I placed mine instead on parchment paper. I was surprised by the lack of grease that came out of these… yippee not overly  greasy.  This means you won’t have to worry too much if they get dropped on the floor during a party!
Since I did not have all the mozzarella needed, I mixed in about ½ cup Italian blend of cheese. I also used shredded cheese instead of dicing a block into pieces  
Ingredients:
1 lb. breakfast sausage, recipe calls for hot but you can any variety you want.
16 oz Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 egg, beaten
1 cup of biscuit mix, I used Bisquick
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°F
Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well blended
Form into 1” balls, place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
Bake for 10-18 minutes or until deep golden brown and cooked through

1 comment:

  1. Added 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan, 1/4 cup freshly grated asiago, 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning and 1 1/4 lb. sausage. Tastes great.

    ReplyDelete